Stone Chip Repair
We know time is important to you, so we’ll always assess your windscreen to see if we can provide a Smith&Smith® repair. By quickly repairing the stone chip in your windscreen, you can prevent it from cracking further.
Do not wait too long to have a chip in your car windscreen repaired.
A chip is often made up of thousands of micro cracks and a strong jolt on the road may turn the chip into a crack. The sooner you get it fixed, the smaller the chance that the chip will crack further.
Why repair a chip?
1. Chip repairs are more affordable and are often covered by insurance
If you are fully insured it may cost you nothing to have your chip repaired and we can usually handle the claims process for you.
If you are a cash customer, a chip repair is much cheaper than a full automotive windscreen replacement which may be required if the chip cracks.
2. Small chips can turn into large cracks which then require a full replacement
A windscreen chip could turn into a crack at any time, often when you are least expecting it; even the normal vibrations of the road can cause an accumulation of damage which could turn that little chip into a crack over time.
Factors such as sudden shocks or temperature changes can also cause a chip to crack further. For example, if the glass is hot and you turn on the aircon, the cooling effect of the aircon on the heated glass can set off a chip causing it to crack.
3. Repairing windscreen damage is quick
In most cases it takes only 30 minutes.
4. Reduce the risk of failing a WOF
If a windscreen chip is in the driver's line of vision and is bigger than 15mm your vehicle could fail its Warrant of Fitness check.
5. Windscreen repairs are backed by our warranty
All Smith&Smith® repairs are backed by our nationwide warranty for the lifetime of your vehicle. In some cases, the attempt to repair a windscreen can make the chip bigger. This is due to small micro cracks emerging from the initial impact and is through no fault of our expert technician. In this rare case, we will credit the cost of the chip repair from the cost of a new windscreen from Smith&Smith®.
6. Repairing the damage will make your windscreen strong again
Your windscreen provides up to 30% of your vehicle’s structural strength and the passenger airbag relies on the windscreen to provide support if the airbag deploys. Repairing a windscreen chip will make your windscreen strong again.
How we repair your windscreen
- Our technician inspects the damage to ensure a successful repair can be undertaken.
- We clean the chip area of as much dust and glass as possible using a special tool.
- Next, we place our specially designed device over the damage to create a vacuum, before filling the chip with our strongest ever resin.
- We ensure the resin is pushed all the way through the crack before using a UV light tool to harden and strengthen the area.
- Once the resin is dry we clean and polish the windscreen to remove any excess resin and ensure a smooth finish.