Windscreen Repair or Windscreen Replacement?
At Smith&Smith®, we prefer to repair your existing windscreen before replacing it with a new one, usually saving you both time and money. If you have a windscreen chip, it’s important to get it checked and fixed quickly, as it could crack at any time. Repairing a chip will make your windscreen strong again and restore the stability of the windscreen to help prevent further cracks.
For Smith&Smith® to repair a windscreen chip it needs to meet specific requirements:
- The chip needs to be located at least 5cm from the edge of the windscreen.
- If the chip is in front of the driver (the critical vision area) the whole chip (including all off shooting cracks) needs to be smaller than 15mm across.
- If the chip is in front of the passenger, the whole chip (including all off shooting cracks) needs to be smaller than 30mm, or a $2 coin.
- In some newer vehicles that have forward facing cameras mounted on the windscreen, a full windscreen replacement may be required if the chip is in the cameras line of vision as this can affect the functioning of the vehicles onboard safety systems. To learn more about onboard safety systems, click here.
Repairing a windscreen
Take a look at our short presentation to see if it is likely that we will be able to repair the damage to your existing windscreen, or whether we recommend that it is replaced. You can then request a windscreen repair appointment online.
Chip repair FAQs
Can every chip be repaired?
No. Depending on the size of the chip or its location, Smith&Smith® may not be able to offer a chip repair. Our auto glass technician will advise you if we can repair the chip.
What happens if a chip repair fails?
In some cases, the attempt to repair a windscreen can make the chip bigger. This is due to small micro cracks emerging from the initial impact and is through no fault of our expert technician. In this rare case, we will credit the cost of the chip repair from the cost of a new windscreen from Smith&Smith®.
What about the appearance?
Our repair will always look better than the unrepaired damage, but it will not make it invisible.
Will it restore the strength of my windscreen?
Chip damage can significantly weaken a windscreen – but repairing the chip properly will make your windscreen strong again.
Call us now 0800 48 33 88
Why repair a chip?
1. Chip repairs are more affordable and are often covered by insurance
If you are fully insured it may cost you nothing to have your chip repaired and we can usually handle the claims process for you.
If you are a cash customer, a chip repair is much cheaper than a full automotive windscreen replacement which may be required if the chip cracks.
2. Small chips can turn into large cracks which then require a full replacement
A windscreen chip could turn into a crack at any time, often when you are least expecting it; even the normal vibrations of the road can cause an accumulation of damage which could turn that little chip into a crack over time.
Factors such as sudden shocks or temperature changes can also cause a chip to crack further. For example, if the glass is hot and you turn on the aircon, the cooling effect of the aircon on the heated glass can set off a chip causing it to crack.
3. Repairing windscreen damage is quick
In most cases it takes only 30 minutes.
4. Reduce the risk of failing a WOF
If a windscreen chip is in the driver's line of vision and is bigger than 15mm your vehicle could fail its Warrant of Fitness check.
5. Windscreen repairs are backed by our warranty
All Smith&Smith® repairs are backed by our nationwide warranty for the lifetime of your vehicle. In some cases, the attempt to repair a windscreen can make the chip bigger. This is due to small micro cracks emerging from the initial impact and is through no fault of our expert technician. In this rare case, we will credit the cost of the chip repair from the cost of a new windscreen from Smith&Smith®.
6. Repairing the damage will make your windscreen strong again
Your windscreen provides up to 30% of your vehicle’s structural strength and the passenger airbag relies on the windscreen to provide support if the airbag deploys. Repairing a windscreen chip will make your windscreen strong again.
Get it done now, with our help
When you notice a small crack or stone chip, don’t wait. If another stone hits, the entire windscreen can crack, requiring complete replacement.
We have over 60 locations throughout NZ and repairs can take only 30 minutes.