Wipers are easy to overlook with all the other maintenance jobs required to keep your car running smoothly but they are important to check as having a clear view in wet weather is vital for safe driving.
It is recommended that you replace your wiper blades every 6-12 months as the blades start to break down after exposure to the sun and extreme heat, or cold. The rubber on the blades also deteriorates over time. Also as blades age, they lose their flexibility and are less able to wipe cleanly. Dirt and road splash on your windscreen can also affect their lifespan—it wears down the blade edges, which then creates streaks or smears and sometimes scratches on your windscreen.
As noted by the NZTA, having effective windscreen wipers is also a WOF requirement so it is a good idea to check them before taking your car for an assessment.
At Smith&Smith® we offer free wiper inspections so if you’re unsure if your wipers need replacing, pop in and let one of our friendly technicians take a look. If your wipers do need replacing, you can purchase them from us and we will fit them free of charge.
Signs your blades need replacing:
- A scraping or slapping noise when in use
- Blades folding underneath
- Blades fraying or cracking
- Smears or streaks being left on the glass
Caring for your wiper blades:
- Clean them regularly. Use a non-abrasive glass cleaner or windscreen washer solvent with a soft cloth or cotton swab.
- Check them regularly. Look for:
- Cracked or torn rubber
- Contaminated rubber from road splash
- Refill fitted correctly—aligned with the blade support structure
- Blade flexibility—make sure the rubber hasn’t hardened or warped, resulting in an uneven sweep